Hegdenagar Home

Hegdenagar Home
Pyari and Mohammad

NEPAL

NEPAL

Friday, October 8, 2010

Serving My Country Was an Honor, Serving My People is a Blessing

Which is what Ram Bahadur told me today. He is extremely active in social work, providing his village with guidance and support. He also served in the Nepali Military as a soldier. He trained in India and then transferred to Africa in the field of security at the UN Mission. He and his wife are so thankful that we are there helping them create a home.
The last few days have been spent weaving bamboo, plastering the walls and whitewashing the exterior of the home. I hope we are able to get the windows and doors in tomorrow.

October 8th, 2010

The Internet was down yesterday and my laptop died so I’ve been disconnected…which is a good thing.
There is a roof, windows, doors, and the front has been whitewashed. Though we did not complete the interior of the home, the exterior is complete. The family will be able to continue working even during the rains.
The President of Nepal, Ram Baran Yadav was our guest of honor at the closing ceremonies. It was such an honor for the people of Lakuri village to see their president arrive in a helicopter and speak to them about their housing situation. I felt real change for the villagers. Since it was our last build day we also had a gathering at our home. There was a ribbon cutting ceremony, we gave them some gifts like a stool and a rug (but don’t tell Habitat), and had some wonderful chai. Roshni (the 13 year old daughter) took me inside their home and gave me a small gift of red cloth and a red necklace. I don’t know if I can ever take it off because there is so much love in it. Rajit (10 year old son) was so upset that he decided to leave so he wouldn’t have to say bye. Roshni went to get him and the poor little boy was in tears. It broke my heart. He didn’t say much. He was spunky with a bit of an attitude, but he was sweet to me. I will miss him the most.

We were adorned with a red “tikka” (dot), flowers, shawls, and so much love. Not only did I build, but also I did most of the translating this entire time. So I was honored to be the voice of the Thapa family. I was able to keep it together, but lost it at: “If we have done anything to hurt you or offend you, we apologize.” They continued to say that whenever we decide to visit, we have a home to stay at and fresh Nepali meals. There will be no staying in a hotel. We are family now. How can they be filled with so much love, kindness, purity, and selflessness? I never stopped crying this afternoon. The tears were flowing like the Ganga. I have fallen in love with Nepal and Nepali people.

Ram Bhaiya (brother) took me aside and asked me if I knew of any labor jobs in the United States or any other country. He asked me to ask the others as well. He can support his children right now since they are young, but college is another story. He needs more money to pay for their education. Many Nepali men will take jobs in the hospitality industry in the Middle East. He is still trying for that. I’m not sure if anyone is reading this, but if you are and you know of anything, please do let me know. It takes a lot for a man to ask for job assistance, especially a man who once was a soldier. At first Ram Bhaiya was distant and timid, but now he jokes and makes us all laugh. I will truly miss him.

The entire family, including the SOS Children’s Village volunteers walked us from the village to our buses. The tears continued. We held hands, we held each other and we said, “see you soon.” I will be back.

I’m sitting in the lobby of the run down “five star” establishment looking at all of these wonderful people that traveled so far to build homes for strangers. I am filled with love.

1 comment: