Hegdenagar Home

Hegdenagar Home
Pyari and Mohammad

NEPAL

NEPAL

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The End of the Road

So I took the last day to wander around Thamel, a very touristy spot in Kathmandu. Not sure what to think of it. Though I kind of enjoy being a tourist, I'm disturbed by this type of "tourism". Shop after shop of the same items, hippies to the left and right, shopkeepers asking me, "Indian?", to which my reply usually is "maybe." I like to keep them guessing. Most of the time when I'm traveling, I just want to blend in and BE. But I found myself sitting at the Pumpernickel Cafe, an air conditioned western bakery. They have sandwiches, pastries and real coffee. Which by the way, I ordered all of it! I purposely didn't bring anything with me. Stephanie left this morning and today really is all mine. I didn't want to be distracted by my phone or books. I just wanted to sit and evaluate the last 20 days. I has been a test of my patience, my ability to work with a very difficult team, learn to love them anyway, and put my endurance to the test! I have almost taken pride in the fact that I'm a city girl with no desire to be a part of nature. WOW...has that changed! Now it might just be temporary since I'm in Nepal and everyone's doing it, or that "thing" about me that super's adventurous when traveling, but a complete bore in the USA. Whatever it is, it's yet another realization that I can do anything I put my love and energy into
In the last year I have traveled to seven countries. Each trip I cam back stronger and a bit more evolved. But usually I come back and fall into the same routine: work, bills, work, bills, work, work, work! And I'm sure it will happen this time as well. But I hope to make a few changes in my life this time around. I hope. Don't ask me what they are yet!
I leave at 11pm tonight. I am thankful to have one final dinner with team USA. And then it's back to a different "reality."

No comments:

Post a Comment