Hegdenagar Home

Hegdenagar Home
Pyari and Mohammad

NEPAL

NEPAL

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Change Hearts Join Hands Build Homes

Today marked our first day on the job site. But it also marked the day that I saw the most beautiful sunrise. I woke up around 5am as breakfast for 300 or so volunteers was at 6:30! I decided to take a step outside of our verandah and I instantly felt blessed. The shining rays of the rising sun glared over the gigantic peaks of the Annapurna. A part of me wishes I never had to go back.

Yesterday, 500 plus volunteers gathered at the Mountaineers Museum grounds to enjoy the welcome festivities. We watched gorgeous Nepali and Tibetan children dance for us, we met two very famous Nepali movie stars that are known as “Maha Jodi” (The Great Pair), we met many gracious people including some of the sponsors, one of which is the Tacoma/Pierce County Habitat for Humanity in Washington State!!! The motto for this Everest Build in Nepal is “Change Hearts, Join Hands, Build Homes.”

We will be completing nearly 40 homes in just a week. Each home is 30 square meters, includes an outdoor toilet, bedroom, kitchen and living room. I’m working at home site # 33, the Ram Bahadur Thapa Family. He is 45 years old and lives with his wife (30yrs old), two children (10 and 13) and 75-year-old mother. Ram Bahadur is very special to me. He is a retired Nepali military soldier. After retirement, he has yet to find a job, but is involved in social work in the Lakuri village. The house they live in is in very bad condition. During the rainy season, the water seeps into the house from the holes in the roof and there are many cracks in the walls. He cannot afford to repair his home. And that is where we come in! As most of you know, my Dad was retired from the military as well. Being able to help a man who served his country is an honor for me.

When we arrived at the home site, the pre-build folks from Canada already completed the frame! (Thank you!). So we spent the day drilling bamboo into the frames vertically and then weaving bamboo horizontally. It wasn’t less than 90 degrees today and I fell a bit sick. I took a break and came back as good as new. But dehydration is no joke…I will drink more water tomorrow. Back to me drilling and using a saw!! WOOT WOOT! I’m kind of a rock star! I felt so amazing and powerful. I’m going to buy one when I get home and build things☺ Tomorrow we begin on the roof.

I have bonded with a few team members and hope to get to know the others in the coming week. Tomorrow is World Habitat Day!

So…so far so good!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're having fun! I hope you take lots of pics!

    ReplyDelete