Hegdenagar Home

Hegdenagar Home
Pyari and Mohammad

NEPAL

NEPAL

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Spending The Day With Buddha

I'm going to begin this with some very helpful Hong Kong advice. Dress lightly, it's like Hot Yoga OUTSIDE! If you have a long layover in Hong Kong, I suggest spending the day at Lantau Island. After going through immigration, head straight toward Terminal 2. There you will see signs for electronic lockers. I highly suggest it. Have a $1 coin (Hong Kong dollars). It's about $30 for 4 hours. I paid $60 and I was out for about 6 hours. You pay when you pick up your things. After that, exit the airport nearest the lockers. Head over to the bus stop on the right that has a sign for S-1. For $3.50 it takes you straight to where you would catch the cable car to Lantau Island. Have exact change because they won't give it to you. The cable car does not open until 10AM, so it's best to grab some coffee and chill out in the courtyard. At 9AM, you can buy a bus ticket (to Lantau) and a cable car ticket (from Lantau) for $92. It's a great deal and the route is so scenic. The cable car is extremely frightening as I sat all alone and was imagining my death if the car happen to fall. After about 15 minutes though, I was fine.
The bus drops you off right on Ngong Ping Plauteau and that is where the Tian Tan Buddha (Giant Buddha) is. It is an 85-foot high bronze Buddha statue. It's amazing!
There are monasteries and other great paths. I decided to walk down Wisdom Path, in hopes to be enlightened in some way. Nope. In fact, I got super scared when four dogs kept growling and barking at me. My inner WISDOM said to turn around...and that is what I did!
To my friends out there with kids, Hong Kong is a great place to vacation with kids. It's hard to take anything seriously here when even at this very beautiful Buddhist hot spot you've got an animated dancing monkey show about sharing and Hello Kitty EVERYTHING! As I walked towards the cable cars I decided to stop and have lunch at Zen Noodles. I assumed it would be rude to ask for hot sauce so I just ate my bland noodle soup and headed back.
After the 25 minute ride in the cable car, I decided to cool off in the mall. There's a lot of security...like Vegas actually. After recalling how much I hate malls in every country, I decided to take the S-1 bus back to the airport. And though I know I should have had another noodle dish or something of Hong Kong fashion, I opted for Popeyes. I know I know...leave me alone!
Overall, it was a great day in Hong Kong. I look forward to my return where I will be getting a foot massage and maybe even my hair did!

3 comments:

  1. After bland noodles, I would have opted for the Popeyes as well :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit (although short) in Hong Kong. I wish I could meet up with you there. There's always a next time! Love you and have fun in Nepal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so excited for you! i'm setting an intention to join you on your next trip. thanks for keeping this blog :) (sabina)

    ReplyDelete